Tuesday, August 17, 2010

cell phone cozies

This one for niece Erin

So I immediately found something to do with my new stash of felt. I need a cell phone cozy in the worst way for my purse. Love the purse, but it has no easily accessible pocket for the cell phone, and I'm constantly finding it just as the caller hangs up. So naturally I made two cell phone cozies for gifts and none for me. But I'm planning to make one for myself soon.

This one for sister Lori, to match her bag

It attaches with a loop around a strap the same way you would attach a luggage tag. You can hang the cozy on the outside or on the inside of the purse. I plan to use mine on the inside, but the photos were prettier with it on the outside, right? If it stays on the outside of the purse, I'd add a little snap or something at the top for security.


Construction is pretty simple. The main pocket is made of wool felt, top stitched around the top edge for strength. The felt thistle applique was added before sewing the pocket together. I cut out the shapes, tacked them down with glue and then sewed them securely on with the machine. The loop is a length of bias binding that is sewn together, but ribbon would also do fine.

Now to pick out colors for mine...

25 comments:

  1. Love your phone cosies , I must make one as I can never find my phone !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! They are so pretty and my phone has a touch screen that scratches so easily. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good idea - and simple [unless you're me in which case it might be VERY complicated indeed]. Might make one as a hankie pocket to wear round my neck - that way I'll find it before the dewdrop drips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! glad to see production is still happening for you and hope the back isn't giving you much trouble. Loving the colors, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooo...I'm so going to make one of these for my new phone...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea, Larissa!!! May I borrow it?

    Why didn't I think of that... It would be perfect for my big purse-filled-with-baby-items-where-I-can-never-find-my-cell-phone!!!

    hugs from Rio!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, y'all. Glad I could share some inspiration. Sounds like I'm not the only one who can't find my phone (or a hankie) when I need it.

    Jessica, thanks so much. Limited production and the back is getting better. I've got to figure out a happy medium somehow.

    Uh, Robyn, no you di-indt. Pick out your colors and relax. Birthday coming up, remember?

    Thalita, of course! Make one and show me! That's what I post for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! We just got phones, and I need one of these. Thank you, Larissa, for a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute. I love those little flowers and the colours too. A bit retro feel, don't you think? Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. super cute. i'll have to make one for my phone too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job! Those are really cute and highly functional!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Larissa, these are so cute! Great design. And those felts are too pretty. I've seen that shop before and never purchased from them. I think you've inspired me...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the thistle applique! So fun, such great colors. I like the blue and orange on the best :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, guys! Thanks to all for the crazy cozy enthusiasm. Love to see any you make! Please share in the flickr group.

    Hey, Dana! Great scott, if I could manage to inspire YOU I am having a pretty good day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is most definitely on my to do list as of right now! I've done without a holder for my cell since I couldn't find one that was "me"...I just found it! Thank you so much for the time you take to post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Quite possibly the cutest thing ever! You're so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are so cute...you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH!!! I have got to make one of these for my iphone!!! Thanks for the idea! You rock, Larissa!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh great! Thanks a lot, now I have to make one!!! Cuteness to the max!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute! What a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Definitely digging the thistles--and the color combos.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!